Tuesday, May 15, 2007

MY FOOT HURTS

My right foot is hurting a lot lately, and it’s reminding me of yet another reason to have this surgery. Currently, I wear a half inch thick lift in my right shoe to make up half of the distance between my leg lengths. This helps somewhat with the back pain, because it keeps my pelvis sort of in place instead of allowing it to drop down completely.

Here’s the lift I wear:



It’s called the Clearly Adjustable lift. Its best quality is that it’s made of hard plastic, meaning that unlike foam or rubber lifts, it’ll never compress or flatten over time and will always be a half an inch thick.

Its major downside is that, as hard plastic, it’s really freaking hard. It’s killing my heel from how hard it is, even though I wear a foam insole over it to cushion it.

The only shoe the lift will fit into are my high backed New Balance sneakers. Now, I love my New Balances. I have no problem wearing them. But it’s not like I can wear New Balances everyday for the rest of my life.

Another problem of wearing such a high lift is that it’s kind of like wearing a high heel, in that your foot is slanted upward. I only wear high heels to weddings, and then I’m usually drunk, so my foot was certainly not used to the high heel effect. The tendons along the bottom of my foot have become extremely sore. I hope I haven't done permanent damage to them.

So there is one definite upside to this surgery: I get to throw the stupid lift away! Yay!

Days until surgery: 15

ADDENDUM: I had lunch with my friend Heather today in the park. It was significant.

Here's a picture of Heather:

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Boo to lifts and heel pain! Let's burn (um, recycle) your lift post-surgery.

Anonymous said...

okay, so i had lunch with allison today and i don't appreciate that it isn't included somewhere in her post. cause soon she won't even be able to leave the apartment, so having lunch in the park with a friend is significant - and it's ME!

jesus, clearly i need to go back to work asap.

Anonymous said...

hi,

by chance i came across ur site. i just want to say dont worry abt the op, you will be fine. seems like you are doing less than 1inch , so that will be fast and safe. these surgeons have so much experience in accident cases that a case like yours is a walk in the park for them. you take care of yourself.

if you would like to, you could also start a diary in this forum
http://randomhero5.proboards24.com/

sincerely,
probe