Thursday, June 7, 2007

AN UNEVENTFUL DAY, FINALLY

Today was a blissfully uneventful day. No trips to the ER, no doctor's appointments, no physical therapy. I'm now into my second week of this process, and I'm finally starting to feel like I'm turning a corner.

I woke up this morning in a good amount of pain so I decided to try out the Vicodin for the first time. I took a whole one, and for a couple of wonderful hours, I was pain-free. And loopy as hell. But then the nausea hit, and I spent a couple of hours eating crackers and drinking ginger ale. Apparently, a whole Vicodin is a bit too much for my stomach.

When it came time to take the next dose of pain medication, I took only 1/3 of a Vicodin. I've been lengthening every four hours during the day, and taking pain medication about half an hour to forty-five minutes before the lengthening. The 1/3 of a Vicodin seemed to be fine for a few hours, but started wearing off too soon, so now I'm trying 2/3 of a Vicodin before my next lengthening.

Through all of this trial and error I really hope to figure out the best pain medication schedule to handle the lengthening pain but also allow me to be lucid enough to do my exercises and not want to barf. For some reason, I really thought I'd be able to handle this lengthening process with little, or no, pain medication.

Thankfully, it should only be about three more weeks of this, and then the pain should significantly decease once I'm done with the lengthening. I can't imagine what people who have several inches of lengthening to achieve must go through.

Also, anyone who does leg lengthening for cosmetic reasons is absolutely nuts.

1 comment:

Cladeedah said...

Is it painful like growing pains or painful like a broken leg? When I was a kid, I would get horrible growing pains all the time in my legs. I'm just curious if it's like that.