Friday, June 8, 2007

DAILY 2 A.M. BLOG POST

It's 2 a.m., again, and I'm up, again, waiting until it's time to take another Vicodin. I think I'm pretty close to getting this "staying ahead of the pain" thing down. I used to think that advice was a bunch of crap, but I guess I've never really been in pain before in my life, because it most definitely is not a bunch of crap.

Anyway, I took a shower yesterday and cleaned my pin sites. It's starting to get a little easier to do, both the shower itself, and especially the pin site care, which still grosses me out. Most of the time, my pin sites are covered by white sponges, so it's not that glaringly obvious that I have these four metal bars drilled into my leg. But when I take them off to shower, there's no denying it.







Even though the pin sites look disgusting, they are actually really healthy. No pain, no swelling, no redness, no oozing. No sign of infection. But I'm not getting too excited. Pretty much everyone who has an external fixator gets a pin site infection at some point, and there's not necessarily much you can do to prevent them. Also I'm still on antibiotics, so that could be helping fend infection off, too.

Here's Kelly playing Tetris while we wait for my drugs to kick in. I'm going to owe her big time after all this.

3 comments:

Cladeedah said...

Kelly is such a good wife. You seriously need to do something nice for her once you're all healed up.

Anonymous said...

I second that. kel rocks.

Anonymous said...

does kelly play tetris while she waits for your pain meds to kick in? i'm thinking perhaps you should toss her a pill or two for all her effort...