Saturday, July 14, 2007

TRYING TO LOSE A CRUTCH OR TWO

As anyone who has ever been on crutches knows, being on crutches sucks. Just from crutching around my office for three days last week, I exhausted my arms so much that I could barely lift them the following few days. But I'm hoping that now that the initial soreness has decreased, it won't get this bad again.

So now the goal is to get off of the crutches. I've made it down to one crutch... for a few steps at a time, that is. But it's progess! I was having some pretty bad knee pain during physical therapy, but after talking to my doctor about it, and getting the "it's nothing" speech, I've been pushing through it and it seems to be okay.

And the more I weight bear, the more aches and pains I have in my leg, which strangely enough makes me feel better about my knee pain. All my muscles, and soft tissues, etc., have all stretched an inch in only three weeks, so it makes sense that they would feel tight and painful as I try to put weight on them.

I have my next doctor's appointment on July 31st, and I want to walk into it, without crutches. I admit that this is mostly because I know my doctor will yell at me if I walk in with crutches, but hey, I'll take the extra motivation wherever I can find it.

Finally, here's an xray of my leg:



You can see the break in the tibia and the break in the fibula, each an inch wide, and the new bone that's already starting to grow in. You can also see the two screws, one at my ankle and one at my knee, and the four pins that go practically entirely through my tibia. It still grosses me out to see that. Eesh.

Here's an xray of both my legs as I'm standing up:



This is the xray he used to measure my leg lengths and determine that the lengthening is over. You can really see in this xray that my right knee is now higher than my left knee. You can't tell at all, though, by just looking at me. It's really only 1/2 an inch higher than the left and isn't noticable at all, so I was suprised to see how much it showed up in the xray.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy fucking hell.
Those x-rays are AMAZING. You have giant gaps
in your leg, did you know that? I thought maybe
this progress was all in your head, but no-- there
are giant gaps in your bones to prove me wrong.
OH MY GOD!!!! Unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

wait a minute, isn't it a problem if one knee is now higher than the other? did your doctor kinda fuck up again?

heh.

Blake Bradley said...

I feel like the comment king... but geez, those x-ray's really do say it all... that is flipping crazy!!!!