Tuesday, July 31, 2007

STILL LIFE WITH FIXATOR

I went into my doctor's appointment today with very low expectations. I was only hoping to get some sense of when I'd get my fixator off. And get some sense of it I did.

My next doctor's appointment isn't until September 11th. So that's 42 more days of life with fixator before my doctor and I are even going to discuss taking it off.

It's a bit of a shock, since I really thought it'd be off by the end of August, or early September at the latest. Now it's looking like the end of September will be the earliest surgery date, because there are still a few steps in between my September 11th visit and getting the fixator removed.

The next step is transferring some of the weight bearing from the fixator to my bone. My doctor might do this on the September 11th visit, or he might still think it's too soon. Once the weight is transferred, we wait... I don't know how long.

Then when my doctor thinks my bone is ready, he'll take the fixator off, but leave the pins in. This is in case I re-break my leg right away. If I'm not broken after a couple of weeks, he'll take the pins out.

So realistically, I'm looking at mid-October before I'm appliance-free. Since it's going to be living on my leg for another two and half months, I think it's time I named my fixator. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

David said...

In honor of your ever-increasing time frame and the pins which you'll have in your leg for a while, how about "Pokey"? =)

Anonymous said...

frank

Annie said...

I agree with Heather on what to name your fixator, but I would call it "Frankie" as it's cute and more androgenous. But then, I am assuming it's genderless....

Anonymous said...

i'm not suggesting this as a name for mr. fixator, but i just wanted to share with you my new favorite name, coined by the bartender at bembe last night:

filthy mcnasty

she called herself by this name, by the way. not me.

Anonymous said...

a filthy mcnasty is also a kind of shot.
i'm had them - they're yummy.