Thursday, October 25, 2007

SURGERY IS COLD

Yesterday was my surgery to remove the four pins and two screws in my leg. Everything went fine, and I was home by 1pm. The worst part was how cold I was in the operating room and when I woke up. I couldn't stop shaking for an hour after the surgery. While I was waiting in the pre-op room before my surgery, I heard a little boy tell a little girl about what surgery is like. "Surgery is cold!" he said. Indeed, little boy, it is.

Here's me waiting to get all operated on:



Here's my leg ready to get de-pinned:



I'm not sure what I thought my leg would look like post-surgery, I suppose just a few bandages here and there, but I woke up and it was all wrapped up almost like a cast, and I was surprised that they didn't take it off before they sent me home. A call to my doctor confirmed that he won't be taking it off until my appointment with him next Tuesday. Which I suppose is fine. It's really tight and pretty uncomfortable, but I don't really want to see the carnage under there.

Here's a not very exciting picture of my mummy leg:



They gave me a prescription for Vicodin (hello old friend!) and at first I was reluctant to take it, but my leg hurts a significant amount. Not like the lengthening, just very sore and tender. I've been taking 1/2 a Vicodin every 4 or 5 hours, and that seems to be keeping the pain at bay. Hopefully by the end of the weekend the soreness will be much better.

And since there aren't any gory pictures of my wounds to show you, here's my bloody IV bandage:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy Fing wow. Congratulations.
I am returning from the wilds of Connecticut next week, and will call about seeing you for lunch.

Now what will people stare at??

Cladeedah said...

Thanks for catering to our longings for more gore. :-) Brian was a mummy for Halloween in honor of you. Go see at my blog!

Anonymous said...

yeah! more vicodin! i mean, no more ginormous pins in your leg!
can't wait to see you sans metal. i'm still in trinidad, being eaten alive by mosquitos, but if there's anything left of me by the time i get home, i want to hang out with you. maybe i can use your old fixator to scratch my back? gotta get your money's worth...
:)