Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A LITTLE LESS FIXATOR, A LOT MORE TIME

Another doctor's appointment yesterday. He took off a small piece of my fixator, the piece that was used for the lengthening, so it was nice to see that bastard go. And he gave me the piece, so that bodes well for the will I get to keep my fixator question.

Here's the piece he took off:



He said that now my bone is effectively bearing all the weight and that the fixator isn't really doing anything anymore. And then he said "see you in a month." Um, what?

He wants to see how my leg does with the added stress, then take some xrays and decide if the fixator is ready to come off. He said if I was going crazy, I could come in for my next appointment in three weeks instead of four. So I scheduled it for three weeks.

Then I told him that I was going to Las Vegas for Thanksgiving, and asked him how that would impact my pin removal surgery. He said if he had his choice, he'd rather wait until after Thanksgiving. So I might be stuck with the pins for another two months! But, if all goes well in three weeks, he'll take off the fixator, then schedule the pin removal surgery for two weeks after that.

I have to admit, though, that I've gotten pretty comfortable with the fixator. I even took the subway for the first time this morning! And I'm also terrified of re-breaking my leg, so though two more months of fixation isn't my idea of a good time, I'm okay with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my question is....when you rode the subway, were you wearing pants? or was frank on display for all the world to see? and if so, when people stared - did you feel like a freak or more like a celebrity?

speaking of celebrities, did you hear that heath ledger and michelle williams broke up? now maybe this is old news or maybe it seems trivial, but it's very important in the world of heather gay (did i ever tell you i once met a guy named heath gay? no joke). important because they lived in fort greene, and i'd been waiting and waiting for my heath/michelle/matilda sighting, so i could say, "hey neighbor"...or at least just think it in my head. now i walk the streets of fort greene with a little less bounce in my step.

Unknown said...

I'm a Toppy.

I was born bad.

Unknown said...

more leg! show more leg!