Friday, July 20, 2007

THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING I'VE EVER OWNED

I got my hospital bill the other day, from the Hospital for Joint Diseases and Orthopaedic Intitute (sic). I wonder how many reams of stationery they printed up before they noticed that typo.

My total bill comes to $35,132.75. Through the miracle of health insurance, my portion is only $250.00.

Here's the breakdown of the charges:

Two days in a semi-private room: $4,820.00
Pharmacy: $113.75
Medical Supplies: $958.00
Other Supplies: $900.00
X-Rays: $258.00
Operating Room Services: $7,500.00
Anesthesia: $795.00
Physical Therapy: $109.00
Drugs: $32.00
Recovery Room: $1,050.00

That comes to $16,535.75. So the remaining $18,597? That's the price of my fixator!

I had toyed with the idea of asking my doctor if I can keep the fixator after he takes it off. Knowing how expensive it is, I can't imagine I'll be allowed to now. Though on the other hand, I did buy it. Well, my insurance company bought it. So technically, it's mine. Maybe I will be able to keep the most expensive thing I've ever owned.

Maybe I can trade it in for a car.

3 comments:

David said...

I got to keep mine. I was surprised when I checked out of my second surgery a few weeks ago and they handed me a towel-wrapped bundle with a handwritten label that says "External Fixator". My bills are a lot higher than yours, too. I think my total out of pocket expenses are around $2000. Of course, I've also had the removal surgery already, but I can't imagine your out of pocket expenses will octuple (is that a word?) when you do. :-)

Cladeedah said...

My out-of-pocket total for heart surgery was $10,000. And I didn't even get a fancy fixator!

Anonymous said...

maybe you can drive the fixator to california!